[PARPORT] Mysterious PCI Dual Parallel Port Card

From: Dave Farrance (dsf@technologist.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 09:30:14 EST

          ++++++ Newbie Alert ++++++

    Hello.

    I bought a PCI dual parallel port at a computer market for my new PCI-only
    motherboard so that I could continue to use my parallel zip drive, scanner
    and printer. It's an OEM card with all indications of the manufacturer
    purged from the card and manual. (Don't you hate it when they do that?)

    The various markings on the card are: FCIO1844 LP003-52
    Galaxy 2L 94V-0 9940 S/N P00600000359 MRI-PCIPP2

    The driver disk had no linux info (which was too much to hope for) but had
    MS Windows and DOS drivers. Both MS drivers worked fine, assigning ports
    LPT2 and LPT3. Mandrake Linux 7.1, however, did not auto-detect the card. A
    dump of the Windows driver showed it's maker to be Intek21.
    (www.intek21.com - rigid Microsoft supporters, apparently).

    I've searched the archives of this mailing list for clues and I understand
    that recent linux distributions (like MDK7.1) should support this type of
    card. Here's the report generated by lspci:

    00:09.0 Parallel controller: AFAVLAB Technology Inc: Unknown device 2121
    (prog-if 02 [ECP])
            Subsystem: AFAVLAB Technology Inc: Unknown device 2121
            Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
            I/O ports at a400
            I/O ports at a000
            Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 1

    I've searched the net for "AFAVLAB" (indexed as 14db in pci.ids) and found
    nothing.

    So, where do I go from here? Suggestions as to which documents to read etc.
    will be gratefully received.

    Dave Farrance