Re: [PARPORT] Mysterious PCI Dual Parallel Port Card

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 15:31:05 EST

    Dave Farrance wrote:

    > ++++++ Newbie Alert ++++++
    >

    > 00:09.0 Parallel controller: AFAVLAB Technology Inc: Unknown device 2121
    > (prog-if 02 [ECP])
    > Subsystem: AFAVLAB Technology Inc: Unknown device 2121
    > Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
    > I/O ports at a400
    > I/O ports at a000
    > Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 1
    >
    > I've searched the net for "AFAVLAB" (indexed as 14db in pci.ids) and found
    > nothing.

    Avlab(!) claims to support Linux, See http://www.avlab.com.tw/faq/q3.htm !

    These instructions are incomplete at best:
    - Linux would be prefer using I/O A000/A400 (in your example), please don't reprogram
      the BAR's (as the example given would clash with an existent port at 0x278!)
    - They show 18 different models, but don't give BAR mappings for all serial/parallel
      register sets (BAR = Base Adress Register, see PCI Standard).

    You could probably politely ask support for documentation. I would help to
    get these supported out-of-the box in Linux, it's just a matter of adding
    some lines to a table (as shown by tim).

    Regards, Gunther