Re: [PARPORT] Please help me configuring my parport!

From: Erik Sigra (sigra@home.se)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 09:32:56 EST

    måndagen den 27 november 2000 14:47 skrev du:
    > > So do I have to compile modular to use DMA for the parport, or is it just
    >
    > Sorry, I don't think I answered your question. No, you don't have to
    > compile modular to use DMA, but you do need to enable the right
    > options when you compile, as well as supplying the right parameters
    > when you boot, as well as supplying the right hardware (i.e. a chip
    > that can actually do DMA), as well as configuring it to enable DMA
    > (i.e. ECP mode).
    >
    > So, enable CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO, boot with 'parport=0x378,7,3' or
    > whatever, and enable ECP in the BIOS. If it doesn't work, I need to
    > see the kernel message that parport_pc spits out as it loads.

    OK, that boot parameter seems to work. It gives the result below. I really
    think this should be explained better in the documentation. (ECP+EPP is
    enabled in my BIOS, and DMA 3 is set.)

    > On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 02:49:29PM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:
    > > So do I have to compile modular to use DMA for the parport, or is it just
    > > your preferred way of doing it?
    >
    > It depends how it was compiled. It really is a lot easier to diagnose
    > problems like this if you compile it modular. The relevant dmesg
    > output after you load parport_pc might help.

    I had forgotten where I could read boot messages after the boot process. Now
    I rediscovered the dmesg command, thanks. This is what it says about my
    parport now. Strange that it doesn't recognize the dma first, but in the line
    after that.

    0x378: FIFO is 16 bytes
    0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 16
    0x378: readIntrThreshold is 16
    0x378: PWord is 8 bits
    0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
    0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x48
    0x378: ECP settings irq=7 dma=<none or set by other means>
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
    [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP,DMA]
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(08)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(08)
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(08)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(08)
    parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 870C
    lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

    Thanks for all the help!