[PARPORT] SanDisk ImageMate flash card reader [long]

From: Matt Roberds (mroberds@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 17:11:41 EST

    Hello all!

    I'm trying to get a SanDisk ImageMate flash card reader,
    parallel port version, working under Linux, and having
    little luck.

    I know about the SanDisk USB reader that is supposed to work
    with Linux, but I got the parallel one for compatibility
    with an older non-USB W*nd*z* box. It worked just fine with
    that machine, but I'm having trouble with it on my Linux box.

    The reader specs (from the label) are:
    SanDisk ImageMate
    Part No. SDDR-01
    Serial No. SD99114505426
    Made in Taiwan
    Approvals: VCCI, FCC, CE, (check mark) N532
    Shuttle Connects

    That last wording and logo made me hopeful. I opened it up
    (peel back the end of the sticker closest to the cord to
    reveal one Philips-head screw) to find a small circuit board,
    about 7cm x 6cm. There is a 1.5 cm x 2 cm SMT chip labelled
    SHUTTLE TECHNOLOGY EP1234-01 9927D . The circuit board is
    labelled WHALE-CFII SCM Microsystems Rev 3.1 AUG 1999 .
    It has no "eject" button for the flash card; you just pull
    it out with your fingers.

    The connection to the computer is via a 36-wire cable.
    One end of the cable has the reader, and the other end
    has male and female DB25 connectors, plus a coaxial jack
    for DC +5V power. In normal operation this is "stolen"
    with another adapter cable from the keyboard or mouse
    port. The 8 data bits from the PC are passed to both
    the reader and the output parallel port - just a simple
    "Y" cable. The 9 control bits from the PC go directly
    to the reader, and the 9 control bits for the output
    port come from the reader on different wires - the
    reader intercepts these lines.

    I have been trying to use the paride device drivers, since
    they mention compatibility with the Shuttle chips used in
    some parallel->IDE external devices. I have tried both the
    pd (IDE disk) and pf (ATAPI disk) drivers with no success.

    The reader has two LEDs, a green "power" one and an orange
    "activity" one. When used with W*nd*z*, the orange one
    blinks dimly at about 1 Hz whether a card is installed or
    not. When a flash card is put in, the orange one lights
    up brightly for a moment, and a "SanDisk" drive icon appears
    in Explorer. When you are transferring data to or from the
    flash card, the orange LED also lights brightly, just like
    the "activity light" on a standard rotating-media IDE or
    SCSI hard disk.

    I can load the paride and epat modules with no problem.
    When I try to load the pd or pf modules, the epat autoprobe
    fails. However, the orange "activity" light on the reader
    flashes during the pd autoprobe. It does not do this with
    the epia module. I have twiddled the options to epat
    (force master/slave, differing delays) with no effect.

    Doing 'strings' on the Windows miniport driver (IMGMATE.MPD)
    returns a few references to "EPAT", so I believe this
    is the right protocol.

    I put in a bit of code to do a hex dump of the 'scratch'
    buffer used by the epat_test_proto function and can
    provide dumps if needed. I get some response on modes
    2d, 4, and 5:

    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 0, ccr 0, test=(255,255,0)
    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 1, ccr 0, test=(255,255,0)
    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 2, ccr 2d, test=(255,255,464)
    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 3, ccr 0, test=(255,255,0)
    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 4, ccr 0, test=(255,255,447)
    pda: epat: port 0x378, mode 5, ccr 0, test=(255,255,506)

    Looking at the code, it seems to step through the 'scratch'
    buffer. The even bytes are "expected" to go 0-255 and the
    odd bytes go 255-0. If a byte in the buffer doesn't match
    this pattern, this fact is recorded.

    There is also some code above this that writes 170 xor (0-255)
    to register 2 and and 85 xor (1-255) to register 3, and then
    reads register 2. If it doesn't equal the value just written,
    this fact is also recorded.

    These two facts are taken together to create the return value
    of epat_test_proto . I'm not quite sure yet whether this
    is supposed to be simply 1 or 0 (device found or not) or
    where there is a list elsewhere mapping return codes to
    what device was found.

    I have a feeling that this device is simply using some extension
    or newer version of the EPAT protocol that the current driver
    (I have v1.01) doesn't address. I haven't been able to find
    a DOS SanDisk driver, so I don't think I can do the dosemu
    debugging thing. I may be able to hack it under Wine, though.

    I know the reader is working, as I can use in on a laptop
    with Win98 and another desktop with Win95. The port is
    working, as my parallel ZIP drive works on it, as well
    as a printer. (I do not have the lp or ppa modules loaded
    when trying to make the SanDisk reader work - it's the
    only thing on the port.) The port is set to EPP mode,
    and when I use the Zip drive, ppa driver does find it and
    uses 32-bit EPP mode.

    I'm running RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20. paride is all
    built as modules. Hardware is a Gateway 2000
    Intel Aladdin motherboard, which used to have a P5-100,
    but now has an Evergreen AMD K6-400 upgrade, including
    the Evergreen-supplied MR BIOS. I'm using the parallel
    port on the motherboard, not an add-in card. The system
    has 64MB RAM. Other devices in the system include 10GB
    and 3GB IDE hard disks, Mitsumi 4x IDE CD-ROM, Adaptec
    AHA1520 SCSI card with HP 2x SCSI CD-ROM, Colorado floppy-tape
    drive, Sound Blaster 16 ISA, and ATI Mach64 PCI video.
    All of these devices have been working fine...the only
    change I've made is to add the SanDisk reader.

    Has anyone gotten this device to work under Linux? Am
    I on the right track with the paride drivers or should
    I use something else?

    Any information or pointers would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!!

    Matt Roberds
    mroberds@worldnet.att.net