Re: [PARPORT] PATCH: parport MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE proposal for modutils and kernel v1.0

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 12:52:42 EST

    >> + const char *pattern; /* must be all lower case */
    >
    >Just spotted the 'lower case' comment. Is that wrong now? When I
    >re-read IEEE 1284 it was explicit about the ID being case sensitive
    >(so I was wrong before when I said it should be case insensitive).

            I just emailed Tim directly about this, but I thought I
    should mention it on the list. Yes, that comment should be deleted.
    I think that we probably will not need to do wildcarding within
    pattern either, since I do not think that any of the kernel drivers
    are looking for elements of comma separated lists or anything like
    that. (In contrast, other user level applications, like setting
    up /etc/printcap, definitely need to do that, to scan for supported
    languages and possibly other features.) So, the pattern matching
    will probably just be something as simple as strstr(ids[n].pattern,printer_id).

    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
    adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
    fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."