[PARPORT] PATCH: parport MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE proposal for modutils and kernel v1.0

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 18:35:00 EST

            The following is an updated patch for modutils and the kernel
    to support parport MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE declarations, as we have discussed
    on this mailing list.

            This version defines parpot_device_id in what I said I considered
    be the "right way" in my previous email:

                    struct parport_device_id {
                            const char *pattern;
                    };

            This way, a list of patterns can be provided by the driver, and
    it eventually will be possible to tell which patterns matched.

            The only kernel patch that I am including with this email is
    the addition of struct parport_device_id in include/linux/parport.h
    and its usage in drivers/char/lp.c, primarily to serve as an example.
    I understand that Linus prefers to receive small patches when possible,
    so I think it would be a good idea to start with the little bit of
    groundwork that does not disturb anything, and get that part into the
    kernel first.

            The more important patches are the additions to modutils, which
    I think are complete at this time. Keith, if nobody on this mailing
    list has any objections, I think you should be able to integrate the
    change and that should, hopefully, be the last thing that you have to
    do to support parport device id's. (Hopefully.)

            Code that actually matches the patterns, such as an
    updated version of parptmodules, replacement of the current
    ieee1284 string parsing code in the kernel and addition of a
    kernel facility for matching these strings is forthcoming, but
    I thought it would be a good idea to get this basic bit of
    goundwork taken care of first.

            Comments?

            If the kernel changes look OK, is there somebody who wants
    to bless the kernel changes and forward them to Linus?

    --
    Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
    adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034