Re: [PARPORT] PATCH: parport_device_id support + bloat, "version 2.2"

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 18:02:16 EST

    On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:41:44PM -0800, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > >Yes. That is, IEEE 1284.3-compatible daisy chaining devices generally
    > >have IEEE 1284 Device IDs.
    >
    > I mean, is it true that any IEEE-1284.3 can hang off of a
    > daisy chain, or only a cerain unusual devices specifically designed
    > for this purpose (for example, could I hang random printers off of
    > such a daisy chain)?

    IEEE 1284.3 is a specification for daisy-chaining (and multiplexing)
    devices on a parallel port. It allows for four devices who are 'in on
    it' and have their own pass-through ports, plus one on the end that is
    entirely unaware of the upstream devices: this is where the printer
    goes.

    That said, it's not true that all daisy-chaining devices are IEEE
    1284.3 compliant: the original ZIP drives, for example, used their own
    protocol, and there are probably other examples. But I think that
    most of these types of devices are also not IEEE 1284 compliant and
    won't have Device IDs anyway.

    > The mismatch would be a compiler warning, not a compiler
    > error. The old code would compile and continue to work.

    Yes, you are right I think, for Intel. I can never remember which
    order parameters get pushed on the stack.