Re: [PARPORT] Status Lines and 1284

From: John O'Connor (joconnor@orga.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 11:28:32 EST

    > Frank Woods wrote:
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a question on the use of the status lines for the parallel port from the perspective of the device (a printer in this case) and how the use of these lines affect the negotiation of the various modes within 1284. I've looked through the spec and it isn't apparent to me how these lines are used to indicate the various states of the device and also negotiate the different modes of 1284. Some of these lines are used in the negotiation process. If anyone can point me in the direction of where to find thiis information I would really appreciate it.

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'the spec' but the IEEE standard does document the use of the control lines in the various negotiation modes. Complete with lots of charts of signals over time.

    If you have trouble getting hold of a copy, you could look at a book such as Parallel Port Complete by Jan Axelson. It is more chatty than the IEEE doc but it has fewer of the detailed drawings.

    Also, you could try looking as the data sheets for some of the printer controller ICs that folks use in 1284 compliant devices. (I can't think of any URLs this late on a Friday but I guess that typing something like:

    parallel port 1284 peripheral controller daisy negotiation

    into google will do you some good.

    Have a nice weekend.

    john