Re: [PARPORT] probs printing w/ 2.2.18

From: Harry Mangalam (mangalam@home.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 12:51:46 EST

    more data points about my never-ending problem.

    Same cable works fine under win2k & same printer, so it's not printer or cable.

    mac serial interface works fine w/ Mac, so not printer (again).

    writing directly to /dev/lp1 will generate output, so it's not the port hardware itself.

    printing via lpd or LPRng results in a page ejected with 'no spool file' message
    LPRng diagnostics seem to be fine, as do lpd

    the only thing that seems to be buggering up is the parport modules. Would compiling the parport stuff into the kernel make a difference?

    and.. the error message below from /var/log/message seems to indicate that something is not right with the autoloading, altho eventually all modules do load.

    Feb 19 16:12:08 cx408397-a modprobe: can't locate module parport_lowlevel
    Feb 19 16:12:08 cx408397-a kernel: lp: no devices found
    Feb 19 16:12:08 cx408397-a insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.18/misc/lp.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

    this was apparently an issue with the early 2.2 kernels, but I thought it was resolved.

    even tho my /etc/conf.modules contains:

    alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
    alias eth0 eepro100
    alias scsi_hostadapter1 BusLogic
    alias eth1 smc-ultra
    #alias /dev/printers lp # only for devfs?
    #alias /dev/lp* lp # only for devfs?
    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc # missing in Red Hat 6.0-6.1

    --
    Cheers,
    Harry

    Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- hjm@ncgr.org || mangalam@home.com