Re: [PARPORT] restore_state

From: Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 04:45:36 EST

    >Would anyone violently object if restore_state wasn't called in
    >parport_claim? In other words, does anyone rely on the data and
    >control ports being unchanged after doing
    >parport_release/parport_claim?

    If restore_state breaks printing then it's essentially useless. I think we
    need to discover what's going on, and either fix it so it works or remove it
    altogether.

    Worse than that, though, if restore_state is outlawed then drivers are just
    going to have to do something morally equivalent by hand.

    Can you remind me exactly what the symptoms of the breakage were?

    p.