Re: [PARPORT] restore_state

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 08:24:40 EST

    On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:45:36AM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:

    > If restore_state breaks printing then it's essentially useless. I think we
    > need to discover what's going on, and either fix it so it works or remove it
    > altogether.

    Agreed.

    > Worse than that, though, if restore_state is outlawed then drivers are just
    > going to have to do something morally equivalent by hand.

    Yes, that's true.

    > Can you remind me exactly what the symptoms of the breakage were?

    With a Lexmark Optra EP:

    machine1, 2.2.x kernel: works
    machine1, 2.4.x kernel: ASCII works, PostScript doesn't print at all
    machine2, 2.4.x kernel: works

    This is with 'cat file > /dev/lp0'. When it fails, various lights on
    the printer flash, as if annoyed.

    On machine1, with 2.4.x kernel-but-remove-restore_state-call, it
    works.