Re: [PARPORT] tar (grandchild): /dev/pt0: Cannot write: Read-only file system

From: Jochen Hoenicke (Jochen.Hoenicke@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 09:26:33 EDT

    On Apr 16, Richard Reina wrote:
    > I am trying to get my HP COLORADO 8gbe up and running. I am running
    > Redhat 6.2 Kernel 2.2.18
    >
    > I followed the instructions from torque.net/parport/paride.html
    >
    > insmod epat
    > insmod pt
    > ./mkd
    >
    > everything to go fine.
    >
    > but when I try
    > #fdisk pt0

    A tape is no harddisk, you can't partition or mount it. AFAIK the
    only operatins allowed on paride tapes are write (e.g. with tar) and
    rewind.

    > I changed the permision:
    > #chmod 666 /dev/pt0
    >
    > and then tried:
    >
    > #tar cvzf /dev/pt0 /home/richard

    (You shouldn't use "z" since a single bit error at the beginning of
    the archive makes the whole archive unreadable)

    > the system cycles through all the files in /home/richard but the ends
    > with:
    >
    > tar (grandchild): /dev/pt0: Cannot write: Read-only file system
    > tar (grandchild): error is not recovereable: exiting now

    Have you checked the record marker on the tape? Does it work under
    windows? Maybe the sensor that detects the record marker is dirty.

      Jochen