[PARPORT] Epson 740/Dell Dimension/Red Hat 7.1 Woes

From: Michael Lindner (mikell@optonline.net)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 10:49:59 EDT

    I've exchanged a few emails with Tim Waugh about this already, but I looked on
    the archive and saw there have been 2 similar problems posted to this list, but
    with no solutions posted. In addition, there have been posts on
    comp.linux.setup with no solution posted.

            http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/2274.html
            http://gear.torque.net/parport/archive/current/3170.html

    Anyway, the problem is this. I have an Epson 740 printer, Dell DImension 8100
    PC, and Red Hat 7.1. The printer prints fine (text and graphics) when the Dell
    is running WIndows 98 (so it isn't the Dell hardware or the cable). It prints
    fine when I connect it with the same cable to another box running a Linux 2.4.1
    kernel (so it isn't that the driver doesn't work at all with the printer).
    However, with the combination of the Dell PC and 2.4.2-2 kernel, nothing
    prints. I cannot print graphics NOR text. I can't even get the printer to
    produce anything by sending bytes directly to /dev/lp0.

    Neither the LP daemon nor driver spew any errors when this happens, so I hooked
    up a breakout box to the printer port, and I can see lines going high and low,
    but the printer sees nothing. I suspected maybe it was a timing issue, and
    tried to use tunelp, but tunelp doesn't seem to affect the operation of the
    driver ("tunelp -w 1000000" should, I think, cause data to be sent at one byte
    per second, but that's not the case).

    I figured since I am the fourth person to note this problem, and since the
    other three aren't still complaining, the solution must have been discovered
    three times. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this.

    --
    Michael Lindner
    http://home.att.net/~mikel