Re: [PARPORT] How to slow down parport? (and a note to Epson 740 owners)

From: Matt Roberds (mattroberds@home.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 23:52:40 EDT

    > On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 10:20:34AM -0400, Michael Lindner wrote:
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and an Epson 740 printer. "Out of the
    > box" it won't print under Linux (Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.4 kernel), but
    > will under Windows. After some experimentation I discovered that if
    > I save the output of "gs" and send the characters to /dev/lp0 slowly
    > enough, it prints. So, is there any way to control the speed at
    > which characters are sent out?

    Not to belabor the obvious, but is the BIOS set right? It probably is,
    or the parport probing wouldn't report the right kind of port.

    Also, have you tried it with a different cable? A marginal cable might
    work at lower speeds but fail at higher ones.

    Again, you may have already tried all this stuff, but I thought I'd
    throw it out. I've had to change out a couple of printer cables that
    the cat chewed on...

    Matt Roberds