[PARPORT] onscsi module hangs

From: falloe@rpi.edu
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 09:09:03 EDT

    Hello,

    My name is Eric Fallon. I have discovered a unique problem with the ppSCSI
    patch. It involves the onscsi module hanging the PC when you issue the
    command 'insmod onscsi'. The problem only occurs when I give others
    permission to 'sg0' (my scanner device). I will explain in detail below.

    I am running RedHat 7.1 Kernel 2.4.2 with the ppSCSI patch for Kernel 2.4.

    I installed the ppSCSI patch so that I could use a Microtek E3 scanner. The

    patch works perfectly when I log in as 'root' user and apply the following
    commands:

    insmod scsi_mod
    insmod sg
    insmod parport
    insmod parport_pc
    insmod ppscsi
    insmod onscsi

    The scanner functions properly and all the SANE tools work appropriately.

    However, I have tried to change the permission settings of sg0 (my scanner
    device) so that I can access this as a normal user with the SANE tools. I
    have tried chmod 666 and numerous other combinations on the device. But
    when I run the above commands 'insmod onscsi' hangs the PC every time. The
    only permission combination it likes is when user and group have read and
    write permission. But you of course then need to be the root user to use
    the device. Is this standard behavior that you have to only give the root
    permission to the device?

    This is an annoying problem that I can not find the answer to. Have you
    seen this problem before? Is there a way that I can set this device so that

    I will be able to access it NOT logged in as 'root' and without the onscsi
    module hanging when loading?

    Thank you for your help,

    Eric Fallon
    email: falloe@rpi.edu