[OT] Re: [PARPORT] parallel port HD

From: Kipp Cannon (kipp@sgl.crestech.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 20:06:31 EDT

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:

    [snip]
    > > When this procedure was followed, the command modprobe pd gave no
    > > info, it merely returned a prompt on the next line. (When this was
    > > described to M-S, the reply was that I was in X or some other
    > > GUI. (But I had logged in as root.) M-S suggested addressing my
    > > question to the Parport Mailing List.
    [snip]
    > > So the question is: How does one make the BPHD accessible to Linux?
    >
    > Once you have loaded the pd module, it is just a case of mounting the
    > disk with the mount command. I expect it will be something like
    >
    > mkdir /mnt/disk
    > mount /dev/pda /mnt/disk

    But if the disk hasn't been used before then you'll have create a
    filesystem on the drive before mounting it. When using Windows, this
    procedure is referred to as "initializing" the disk.

    The Linux utility used to make a filesystem is called "mkfs" and to
    prepare the drive for use with Linux you'll need to do something like

    mkfs -t ext2 /dev/pda

    which writes an "ext2" file system on the disk. Then you can mount it.
    HOWEVER: doing this will (i) erase any files you currently have on the
    disk and (ii) mean that the disk can only be used with Linux systems
    (until you "initialize" it again). So definitely don't do anything like
    that until you've read whatever documentation you can find on "mkfs" and
    "mount" and learned about the features offered by different file systems.
    After you've decided what your particular situation needs *then* you can
    do the above ;-).

    Good luck.

                                                            -Kipp