Re: [PARPORT] parallel port HD

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 16:57:18 EDT

    On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:34:09PM -0400, Estelle Baer wrote:

    > M-S, when questioned, advised keying in the commands
    > insmod parport

    I did a double-take on this. M-S, of course, is Micro-Solutions. :-)

    > When this procedure was followed, the command modprobe pd gave no
    > info, it merely returned a prompt on the next line. (When this was
    > described to M-S, the reply was that I was in X or some other
    > GUI. (But I had logged in as root.) M-S suggested addressing my
    > question to the Parport Mailing List.

    Right. That command doesn't give any output as such, but it does
    cause the kernel to log some messages. When you are in text mode,
    they happen to go to the screen, and so it looks like the command has
    output.

    To look at what the kernel is saying, type 'dmesg'.

    > So the question is: How does one make the BPHD accessible to Linux?

    Once you have loaded the pd module, it is just a case of mounting the
    disk with the mount command. I expect it will be something like

    mkdir /mnt/disk
    mount /dev/pda /mnt/disk

    You can make the necessary modules load automatically in future by
    putting this in your /etc/modules.conf file:

    alias paride_protocol bpck6
    alias block-major-45 pd

    Hope that helps,