[PARPORT] Parport problem?

From: Greg Wilkins (gregw@mortbay.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 04:04:50 EDT

    Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but I have trolled all the
    HOWTOs and doco I can find and can't get any closer to my problem.

    I'm running debian unstable with the 2.4.9 kernel.

    I have parallel port support compiled in (not as modules) and
    dmesg shows that it all starts up fine and even detects my printer!

       parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
       parport0: irq 7 detected
       parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
       parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
       parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet T Series

    All the devices that I think should be there are there and look OK:
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 Jul 6 2000 lp0
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 1 Jul 6 2000 lp1
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 2 Jul 6 2000 lp2
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 Jul 6 2000 par0
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 1 Jul 6 2000 par1
       crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 2 Jul 6 2000 par2
       crw------- 1 root root 99, 0 Aug 8 17:39 parport0
       crw------- 1 root root 99, 16 Aug 8 17:39 parport16
       crw------- 1 root root 99, 32 Aug 8 17:39 parport32
       crw------- 1 root root 99, 48 Aug 8 17:39 parport48

    But if I try to access any of the devices in anyway, I get device not
    found errors and syslog reports things like:

       Aug 25 17:47:44 brick modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
       Aug 25 17:47:19 brick modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-99

    At this point, I'm out of my depth as I'm not using modules and don't
    really understand them. I found one document that suggested adding
    some entries to modules.conf, which I did - but that made no difference.
    Besides, I'm not using modules?????

    I'm also not using the /dev/ filesystem.

    Any suggestions of what could be the problem? Or who I should ask for
    help?

    NB. I'm not on this mailing list so can you please reply directly?

    thanks in advance....

    --
    Greg Wilkins<gregw@mortbay.com>          GB  Phone: +44-(0)7092063462
    Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.    Mbl Phone: +61-(0)4 17786631