Re: [PARPORT] A few questions.

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:00:59 EDT

    On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:41:50AM -0500, Ken Hahn wrote:

    > (looked through the archives a bit, but never found a search for it, and
    > there's a lot of messages :O )

    The current archiving system for this list is quite cumbersome. I
    don't know who is in a position to do anything about it though..

    > With regards to the PARIDE system. I was wondering if there was any
    > discussion of working with the new hotplug stuff out there (I think it was
    > initially meant for the usb-system, but other sub-systems have wanted to get
    > in on it. Need to look into details...).

    Well, the trouble is that when you plug a device into the parallel
    port, no-one knows about it but you. Parallel ports don't really
    support hot plugging devices nicely.

    (PCMCIA parallel ports are a different matter, and that should work
    already..)

    > If nothing else, I find that a lot of users that e-mail us have compiled the
    > paride stuff into the kernel. Now, my understanding is that at this point,
    > the only time the drives would be probed is at boot time. It'd be nice, if
    > there was a way to get the drives to re-probe.

    They should compile them as modules then. :-)