Re: [PARPORT] General user mode access to parallel port

From: Robert Heller (heller@deepsoft.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 12:44:56 EST

      Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>,
      In a message on Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:15:52 +0000, wrote :

    TW> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:07:38AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
    TW>
    TW> > Is there a high-level parallel port driver that allows 'vanila' access
    TW> > to a parallel port from a user-mode program? If so, what are the ioctls
    TW> > available? I need to be able to test if data is available and/or test
    TW> > the state of the handshake lines. Or do I need to write a kernel module
    TW> > (driver)?
    TW>
    TW> Take a look at libieee1284: http://cyberelk.net/tim/libieee1284/. It
    TW> is a nicer interface to the kernel ppdev driver, which also has some
    TW> fall-back I/O routines if ppdev isn't available. It is meant to be
    TW> cross-platform-capable, and for example I don't think it would take
    TW> too much effort to get it going on *BSD.
    TW>
    TW> For Linux, ppdev is available in the 2.4.x kernel series.

    Is there something like ppdev or libieee1284 for 2.2.x kernels? I've
    only just upgraded my machine to RH 6.2 and for a whole pile of reasons
    don't want to upgrade further at this time.

    TW> Tim.
    TW> */
    TW>
    TW>
    TW>
    TW> This message contains data in an unrecognized format, application/pgp-signature,
    TW> which is being decoded and written to the file named "/home/heller/Mail/Attachments/mm.8Q8QYY".
    TW> If you do not want this data, you probably should delete that file.
    TW> Wrote file /home/heller/Mail/Attachments/mm.8Q8QYY

                                         \/
    Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
    http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
    http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153