[PARPORT] Compaq 7400 PARIDE problem

From: Robert W. Yarbrough (rwyarbrough@prodigy.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 14:08:11 EST

    I have just loaded RedHat 7.2 on a compaq 7400. I followed the instructions
    found at gear.torque.net/parport and also in some other areas. I loaded up
    parport, (insmod parport) no messages. I load paride, (insmod paride) no
    messages, I load bpck, (insmod bpck) no messages. I try to load PD for my
    Backpack Harddrive (insmod pd) and I get an error message pd.o: init_module:
    Operation not permitted. I noticed that in the troubleshooting section of
    gear.torque.net/parport/paride that the PARIDE protocol modules do not
    support ECP mode parallel ports. The compaq BIOS settings for the 7400
    doesn't allow me to change mode of the parallel port, I can either enable it
    or disable it and change the resources. I am checking with compaq to see if
    there is a way to change the mode theough the BIOS settings. The compaq
    website wasn't much help...but for now, it looks like I'm stuck.... any
    ideas??? Is there a way to emulate EPP? Here is the dmesg

    paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
    paride: bpck registered as protocol 0
    pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
    parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
    parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
    pda: Autoprobe failed
    pd: no valid drive found
    ide-floppy driver 0.97
    Disallowing DMA for hdb
    hdb: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
    cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
    CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
    PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
    PPP BSD Compression module registered
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered
    pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    pda: 0x378 is parport0
    pda: Autoprobe failed
    pd: no valid drive found

    Thanks in advance for all your help!