Re: [PARPORT] Difficulty installing ppdev module

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 18:18:26 EST

    On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 02:53:30PM -0800, Mazzella.Aldo@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

    > I am trying to get parallel port access for VMwareWorkstation 3.0 on a
    > linux host, kernel 2.4.4
    > ( SuSe 7.2 professional ). The installation of the ppdev module is
    > required. The ppdev module does not show up
    > under " lsmod ". If the ppdev module is installed, should it show
    > up there?

    Not necessarily; if it is _loaded_ then it will.

    > I tried loading ppdev with "modprob ppdev io=0x0378 irq=7" and
    > various other combinations of "io" and "q" values and get the message
    > :
    > " /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/char/ppdev.o: invalid
    > parameter parm_io "
    > How do I find the valid io parameter?

    There is no such parameter. But ppdev is just a driver like lp: it
    requires the parport module first, and to attach it to any parallel
    ports you also need the parport_pc module.

    If you have parport_pc already loaded, just load ppdev with 'modprobe
    ppdev'. I think that there was a bug in the early 2.4.x series that
    prevented ppdev from loading 'on demand' (i.e. when /dev/parport0 is
    accessed), so perhaps that's all you need to do.

    I would have thought that SuSE would have issued a kernel errata or
    two since 2.4.4 though: have you kept your system up to date with
    their advisories?

    > Where can I find any information or write up on the ppdev module?

    I'm afraid it isn't documented very well. But for use with VMware you
    might want to take a look at
    <http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/modes.html>.