Re: [PARPORT] Quick question

From: Moritz Barsnick (barsnick@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 03:35:53 EDT

    Hi,

    On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 16:42:39 -0700, PerlMonkee wrote:

    > is applying this patch intended for a 2.2.x kernel to my 2.4.5 kernel
    > going to destroy the universe, or is there some chance it might work?

    It won't destroy the universe, but chances are high it won't work.
    Which patch are you talking about? A lot has changed from 2.2 to 2.4.

    If you really don't want to ruin your installation of the Linux kernel
    sources, use this option of patch:

    $ patch --help|grep dry
      --dry-run Do not actually change any files; just print what would happen.
      ^^^^^^^^^

    (newer version of patch assumed, which is 2.5.4 currently - should not
    matter in most Linux distributions)

    > I could try and READ the patch to see EXACTLY what its doing and try to
    > use my best judgment,

    Which is what you might have to do to manually port the patch to 2.4.

    HTH,
    Moritz :-)