Re: [PARPORT] ECP printing problem

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 18:11:15 EDT

    On Tuesday 20 Aug 2002 18:06, Z F wrote:
    > I also have a parallel port SuperDisk drive, which
    > works if ECP is selected in BIOS.
    > If SuperDisk uses ECP protocol, I would definitely
    > like to make printing possible in ECP mode, if not,
    > I am ready switch to EPP in BIOS and that is all.

    I would say, from my experience with other parallel-port disk devices of
    various types, that the SuperDisk almost certainly uses EPP mode, and will
    work substantially slower if ECP mode (or ECP+EPP mode) is selected.

    You should be able to see something in your dmesg output from the SuperDisk's
    protocol driver that tells you what mode it's currently using - compare it
    when the port is in EPP mode and ECP mode.

    Example from my EPAT-based SyQuest drive:

    paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
    paride: epat registered as protocol 0
    pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    epat_init_protopda: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    pda: epat 1.02, Shuttle EPAT chip c3 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay 0
    pda: SyQuest EZ230A, master, 450560 blocks [220M], (880/16/32), removable
    media
     pda: pda1

    You'd be using the pf driver instead of pd, I would think. Just look for
    something similar, or grep for "pda".

    Stephen