Re: [PARPORT] ECP printing problem

From: Z F (mail4me9999@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 13:14:18 EDT

    Hello Stephen

    Thanks for your reply.

    Do you think that the problem with ECP printing is related to the
    software or it is the printer which does not understand ECP protocol?

    --- Stephen Mollett <molletts@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I would say, from my experience with other parallel-port disk devices
    > of
    > various types, that the SuperDisk almost certainly uses EPP mode, and
    > will
    > work substantially slower if ECP mode (or ECP+EPP mode) is selected.

    I must say that while SuperDisk works, it consumes huge amounts of CPU
    resources and it is practically impossible to do anything while the
    disk is in use. System load goes to 2.00 on my Pen4 1.7GHz even with
    nice=20 parameter.
    There are definitely some problems with buffers/FIFOs in the
    parport/superdisk-related drivers or I do not know how to tune the
    driver parameters.

    > You should be able to see something in your dmesg output from the
    > SuperDisk's
    > protocol driver that tells you what mode it's currently using -
    > compare it
    > when the port is in EPP mode and ECP mode.
    >
    > Example from my EPAT-based SyQuest drive:
    >
    > paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
    > paride: epat registered as protocol 0
    > pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
    > epat_init_protopda: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    > pda: epat 1.02, Shuttle EPAT chip c3 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay

    I guess you are talking about "mode 5(EPP-32)" in your example which
    would change when switching between EPP and ECP port modes?

    Thank you very much

    Lazar