RE: [PARPORT] Toshiba 2595xDVD lp0: no such device

From: Thomas Bodine (bo_dance@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 12:34:06 EDT

    --- Carter Jason L A1C 509 CS/SCMR
    <jason.carter@WHITEMAN.af.mil> wrote:
    > I dont know if this will help or not. But, some of
    > the "not so new" printer
    > cables are unidirectional, causing linux not to
    > recognize, and possibly not
    > even load the devices. Try looking around the web
    > for problems caused by
    > this. If you find anything, please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > A1C Carter

    Well that may be true, but I bought this cable two
    months ago.
    Plus the parport_probe drivers notices that it is an
    HP printer
    so I think some sort of two way communication is going
    on, further more, when I use it with Windows98, since
    I bought a flakey Ink head I keep getting pop ups that
    say I need to replace it.

    What I don't know is how to get the /dev/lp?
    filesystem entries to talk to the parport driver. Is
    there some sort of Major Number--Minor number--magic
    thing I don't know about?

    =====