[PARPORT] PCMCIA Adapter + Backpack CD-ROM

From: Stuart Powell (SPowell@pcsolutionsmn.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 11:02:27 EST

    Hello, everyone.

    I have spent a great deal of time recently trying to install SuSE onto
    a colleague's aging laptop. The main sticking point has been that the
    only CD-ROM drive for the laptop is a Backpack CD-ROM with a PCMCIA
    parallel port adapter. We can't use the built-in port as the floppy
    drive uses that and we need that hooked up to boot from.

    After many trials and tribulations, I finally did an NFS install of the
    OS, but the Backpack CD resolutely fails to work. I am able to insmod
    paride and bpck, but pcd fails to load. I suspect it is only looking
    for the CD drive on the built-in port, and not on the PCMCIA one.

    I tried loading the modules with the IO address of the PCMCIA card
    (gleaned from W2K on the same machine), but this seems to make little
    difference.

    Can anyone help me get this drive working ? We currently have SuSE 8.1
    Pro installed.

    Thanks,
    Stuart.