Re: [PARPORT] Parallel Port IDE Hard Drive

From: Gabriel M. Elder (gmelder@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 12:58:44 EST

    Don't know if anyone has helped you out with this yet, but i haven't
    seen any replies on the parport list so here goes:

    From a root shell, do an 'lsmod | sort | less' to get a list of
    currently loaded modules. You're interested in the par* modules here. To
    use your drive you'll need the following module stack loaded, in load
    order:

    parport, parport_pc, paride, possibly_some_low_level_driver_here, pd (i
    believe, unless there is a more appropriate device-specific driver for
    your drive). Check out http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html .

    It sounds like your module stack stops short of paride. To attempt to
    access the device, try loading the drivers, either individually or:

    modprobe -v pd (this should also load any modules that it depends on)

    I doubt you'll have to pass any parameters to the module to get it to
    load (i.e. pd io=0x378 irq=7) unless you've introduced some
    complications by altering your machine's low-level configuration.

    It should then be accessible as a block device /dev/pd-something,
    /dev/sd-something or /dev/hd-something or other. Probably /dev/pda?,
    which can be mounted:

    mount -vt auto /dev/pd?? /mountpoint_in_your_filesystem.

    To have this loaded and mounted automatically, check out the man pages
    for /etc/modules.conf and /etc/fstab. Sorry, unsure of the syntax here.
    Unless someone knows of a better way to load these modules and mount the
    filesystem at boot?

    I hope this was useful to someone. If i have erred or somebody knows
    better, please LMK.

    - gabriel