[PARPORT] Jaz Traveler with non-Iomega devices?

From: pineault@phy.ulaval.ca
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 12:38:32 EST

    Hi:

    I am running Mandrake 7.2 with a 2 Gig Jaz drive connected to the
    parallel port with a Jaz Traveller. Everything works fine (with
    the ppa module defined as the scsi adaptor in the modules.conf file).

    My questions are:

    (1) Can I use the Jaz traveller (with the cable, I
    presume, since I have seen it described as an ``active'' cable,
    whatever this means...) to connect another SCSI device to the
    parallel port. In my case I have in mind an Agfa scanner, the
    Snapscan 600 model. Any particular care to take or configuration
    files to modify? Since the Jaz drive (with Traveller)
    is /dev/sda, I presume the same would apply to the scanner?

    (2) The Iomega documentation mentions a Parallel Port Accelerator
    (for Windows only ...), which gives a faster transfer rate. Is there
    such a thing under linux?

    (3) I have searched the archives and did find
    one relevant message, however it goes back to 1998 (from David
    Campbell) and was wondering if there is more up to date
    info on that. There seems to be plenty of web references (ex:
    to David Campbell at torque.net) with inexistent links.
    If anybody has better up-to-date links/info...

    Any help/hint will be appreciated. I am new on the list and
    apologize if any of this is considered trivial.

    Thanks in advance,

    Serge Pineault
    (out in cold Quebec City -- -27 C or -21 F last night...)