Re: [PARPORT] continuous parport activity??

From: Meles MELES (meles@free.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 07:47:59 EDT

    Le Dimanche 13 Avril 2003 08:18, Gregg C Levine a écrit :
    > Hello from Gregg C Levine
    > Perhaps you should start by posting for us, a description of your
    > port tester, and then the programs that you use.

    Of course, the tester I built is quite simple. For D0-D7, it's just made
    of a ULN2803A, a few resistors and red leds. For other pins of the
    parallel port (PP), just 2 ULN2003AN with leds and resitors. The whole
    thing is powered with a regulated 5 V supply. The tester is connected
    to the PP with a extension cable (male-male subd25 pins). No printer is
    connected on the port.

    > Further, a
    > descriiption of how your systen is configured, including lilo
    > configuration, and modules configuration.

    OK, I work with a ECS K7S5A and a mandrake linux 9.1. The PP is in SPP
    mode in the bios.

    here is my lilo.conf(well, the part I start with):
    default="linux"
    keytable=/boot/fr-latin1.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
            label="linux"
            root=/dev/hda5
            initrd=/boot/initrd.img
            append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"
            vga=788
            read-only

    and my /etc/modules:
    scsi_hostadapter

    and the /etc/modules.conf one:
    probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
    alias eth0 sis900
    above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
    probeall usb-interface usb-ohci

    results of the lsmod command:
    sg 34636 0 (autoclean)
    evdev 5632 0 (unused)
    wacom 10168 0 (unused)
    input 5664 0 [evdev wacom]
    lp 8096 0
    parport_pc 25096 1
    parport 34176 1 [lp parport_pc]
    radeon 107428 0
    agpgart 40896 1 (autoclean)
    sr_mod 16920 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    floppy 55132 0 (autoclean)
    i810_audio 26248 2
    soundcore 6276 0 [i810_audio]
    ac97_codec 12488 0 [i810_audio]
    af_packet 14952 0 (autoclean)
    sis900 15564 1 (autoclean)
    nls_iso8859-15 4092 2 (autoclean)
    nls_cp850 4316 2 (autoclean)
    vfat 11820 2 (autoclean)
    fat 37944 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
    ide-cd 33856 0
    cdrom 31648 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
    ide-scsi 11280 0
    scsi_mod 103284 3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
    printer 8448 0 (unused)
    usb-ohci 20584 0 (unused)
    usbcore 72992 1 [wacom printer usb-ohci]
    rtc 8060 0 (autoclean)
    ext3 59916 3
    jbd 38972 3 [ext3]

    > By what you've sent
    > already, not many of us, can give you the entire answer that you
    > need. Especially since some lines on the port are constantly active.
    > They have to be, to monitor the printer, and the internal databus for
    > the computer.

    In fact, I posted because, when I start my computer with windows, all
    the leds from D0-D7 stay turned off and it is'nt the case when booting
    with linux. As I want to drive some stepper motors with the it, I'm
    afraid that this activity on my printer port would make them go crazy.

    I've also encountered the same problem as filip, that is to say that
    when I write 0X00, pins change to LOW for few ms and then return in the
    state they where in before. Same thing when I write 0xFF.

    In the previeous message, I said that some leds where steady, In fact
    they just look steady to me (persitence of vision) but they might be
    blinking very fast.

    Thanks for your help

    Best regards.

    Blaise
    - --
    Il faut s'entr'aider, c'est la loi de nature.

            -- Jean de La Fontaine, L'Ane et le Chien