[PARPORT] Beginner needs help with EPP...

From: Sven Heithecker (sven.heithecker@web.de)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 20:08:14 EDT

    Hi,

    I am currently new to parport/EPP programming and need some startup-help.
    I need to access the PC's parport in EPP mode. It's going to be a "static"
    solution, so no drivers etc are needed, just plain access to the port.
    Currently I am trying something like

    int mode = IEEE1284_MODE_EPP;
    if( (fd_par = open("/dev/parport0",O_RDWR)) == -1 ) error(...)
    if(ioctl(fd_par,PPCLAIM)) error(...)
    if(ioctl(fd_par,PPNEGOT,&mode)) error(...)

    and then simple access using read(fd_par,...) and write(fd_per,...). However,
    so far the program stopps at the EPP negotiation with an I/O error. I
    activated EPP in the BIOS, but when looking at /proc/sys/dev/parport0, it say
    that no IRQ or DMA channels are assigned and that EPP is not possible.

    Maybe someone could pinpoint me to some example code or documentation ?

    Thank you very much in advance,
    Sven Heithecker

    --
    Sven Heithecker     sven.heithecker@web.de