Re: [PARPORT] Printing unreliable using ECP/EPP

From: Dave Strauss (dstrauss@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 10:08:42 EST

    I don't know if things have changed much since RH 7.3, but as I look
    at my one machine with RH 9 installed it looks like they haven't. RH
    typically does not ship with ECP mode enabled in the parport driver,
    so if you want better performance you'll have to rebuild your modules
    to take advantage of it. I can send you instructions for doing that if
    you need them, but basically under parallel port support you want to
    enable FIFO/DMA support, rebuild and install your modules, then
    enable FIFO support in /etc/modules.conf by adding one of the following
    two lines:

    options parport_pc irq=auto dma=none
    options parport_pc irq=auto dma=auto

    The first line sets up polled I/O to do transfers, while the second
    line sets up DMA. Experiments I did a couple of years ago showed that
    polled I/O is faster overall but burdens the CPU more than DMA.

    This *may* fix your problem, but it's strange that your machine
    becomes "unusable" while printing -- even with "standard" (a.k.a
    compatibility) mode it shouldn't be doing this.

    I'm sure Tim Waugh will correct me if I'm wrong about RH 9.

    -- Dave Strauss