RE: [PARPORT] Printing unreliable using ECP/EPP

From: Neil Munro (neil.munro@catalyse.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 15:25:49 EST

    > There is a simple test to see if ECP support is enabled and working, type
    > cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes

    Interesting... BIOS=>modes

    SPP=>PCSPP,TRISTATE
    EPP=>PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP
    ECP=>PCSPP,TRISTATE
    ECP+EPP=>PCSPP,TRISTATE

    The odd thing is that another system (Jetway 603TCF mainboard) DOES print
    correctly in EPP mode, so I don't think it is a cable issue, but it displays
    the modes exactly as above, i.e. EPP is detected (and appears to work) but
    ECP mode is not detected and ECP+EPP mode gets confused and just becomes
    SPP.

    I will try the ASUS mainboard again in pure EPP mode to see if it does work
    (I'm sure I tried all 4 BIOS options, but I was tearing my hair out at the
    time...).

    > Another thought before you rebuild things: is it possible under CUPS
    > to print to a file?

    Yes, my setup actually makes the default printer a Postscript file, but I
    also tried using the Epson 480 driver to create a printer dump and this
    worked fine and was very fast (the file was full size in under a second), so
    I don't think it is a CUPS issue. I will also try confirming where the
    problem is by sending the dump to the printer as a raw file.

    Thanks for the pointers and I'll let you know how I get on.

    Neil.