Re: [PARPORT] HP parallel cd *writer*?

Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 23:10:05 EST

> At a recent "toy show" I saw an HP CDwriter with a parallel
> interface. A quick look at the HP website shows information about the
> 6020ep, a 2x-writer, 6x-reader, with 1M buffer (3sec @ 2x). The
> datasheet suggests it has a "parallel to SCSI convertor[sic] cable".
> Anyone tried (or better yet, succeeded :-) in using this with linux?
> It claims that the 6020ep needs a 486/66 (vs. 486/33 for the SCSI
> versions.)

I can tell you the 6020 SCSI is a sweet unit, and works the nuts with
Linux! I paid about $425 for my unit, and instead of a cheap SCSI
controller it came with a AHA2940 PCI, which is sort of $175-200 by
itself.

Sure would be nice to have a parallel version, but it might bog the
system if you went with a 2x write unless you had a really good parallel
port!

--
	Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)

As I see it, Windows is the Budweiser of operating systems, mass produced, bland, artificially carbonated, and wildly popular due to advertising. The quality control is aimed at bug-free mediocrity, and overuse makes me puke. s