Re: [PARPORT] Avatar Shark and missing superblocks under RedHat...

Kevin Fisher (kfisher@rim.net)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 13:46:55 -0500

> > unmount the disk before removing it from the Shark drive... I'm using
> > the ep.c module from torque.net.
>
> This is just an acknowledgement that I've seen your report. The driver
> should not allow you to remove the disk without unmounting it first,
> anyway. Have you ever seen any ep: error messages in your kernel
> log ? Were there any at the time of the bad superblock message ?

I'll check this when I get home. I believe there was an ep: message on
screen when I tried to mount the disk (which is when I got the superblock
message).

> If you haven't seen any error mesasges, the odds are that the problem
> is not with the drive or driver.

Fortunately I managed to stop the sales bimbo before she ran the whole
drive box through the demagnitizer :/ Good thing I have that receipt!

> > I bought to extra disks with it at Future Shop...
>
> You're in Guelph ? I haven't seen any Avatar drives or media here in
> Toronto, I'll have to look the next time I stray into
> "Extended Warranties 'R Us" ...

Waterloo, actually. Our Future Shop is just outside kitchener, near
Cambridge (right next to Sports World). I've had really rotten service
there in the past (which doesn't explain why I went there for my Shark drive).

> > (Needless to say I won't be shopping at Futile Shop ever again...)
>
> A good policy, that I seem to find myself ignoring more often than
> I should :-(

Same here! I'll let you know what's in those kernel logs, if anything...