Re: [PARPORT] Accton EN2209 Ethernet

chris (harshman@paradigm.uor.edu)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:42:46 -0800 (PST)

> > I compiled it and received two errors (kernel 2.0.30, Slackware 3.1).
> > I commented out the lines giving the error messages (both were called on
> > the event of certain errors - nonstandard parallel port configuration,
> > device not found... - that I could safely assume would not occur).
> > It compiled fine after that.
>
> What were the precise errors ?

paradigm:~/accton$ make
cc -D__KERNEL__ -O2 -c accton.c -o accton.o
accton.c: In function `ethpk_open':
accton.c:1025: warning: passing arg 2 of `request_irq' from incompatible
pointer
 type
accton.c:1025: too few arguments to function `request_irq'
accton.c: In function `ethpk_close':
accton.c:1091: too few arguments to function `free_irq'
make: *** [accton.o] Error 1
paradigm:~/acccton$

> > I insmod'd the resulting ethpk.o file, and the driver correctly found my
> > EtherPocket adaptor, correctly reported the Ethernet hardware address,
> > etc. I was able to ifconfig it (it creates the device ethpk0) and setup
> > routing. However...
>
> Ok so its actually talking well enough to find the device.

Yeah, it seems to be operating well in that regard. :^>

> > I am unable to do anything with it once I've got the above done.
> > Say I set it up as IP address 192.168.0.48 (on a 192.168.0.x network).
> > I can ping .48, but no other machines on the network. I am unable to
> > to get off the laptop that's equipped with the device.
>
> Silly question but I dont know this device - did it come with different
> options - 10base2, 10baseT etc ?

Sorry, let me explain the device.
It's a parallel port unit (obviously) with (4) LEDs, for power, TX/RX,
UTP/LINK, and COAX. There are 10Base2 and 10BaseT interfaces at the end,
with a selector switch to toggle between the two on the side of the unit.
I'm on a 10Base2 network, and the device is setup accordingly.

The accton homepage (http://www.accton.com/) has more info, and pictures.
Do a search for 'EN2209'

- Chris

Chris Harshman, sysadmin | "A witty saying proves nothing."
harshman@paradigm.uor.edu | -- Voltaire
http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman |