Re: [PARPORT] Boot from SyJet for Linux on IDE system with SCSI Parallel version

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:33:17 -0500 (EST)

> I have a SyJet drive with the parallel port cable which uses the SCSI
> for drive purposes.
>
> I have a notebook with an IDE based harddrive. Is it possible to boot
> from the SyJet using the parallel port?
>
> Would getting a Scsi PCMCIA card help? Maybe disable the ide and use a
> scsi card?

If the SCSI PCMCIA card is an option, do it. You'll get better performance,
and you'll be able to install onto it, and boot from it, without sacrificing
small mammals to obscure deities.

If you elect to stick with the parallel port, you will be able to access
the SyJet using the 'epst' driver, but you may find that performance is
not up to your expectations. _And_ you will have to do some tricky
configuration by hand.

Even though I wrote the epst driver, I wouldn't recommend it for your
root device :-(