Re: [PARPORT] New WWW page: "Linux driver for the HP officejet"

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:32:12 +0000

> From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
> Subject: Re: [PARPORT] New WWW page: "Linux driver for the HP officejet"
> To: campbell@gear.torque.net (David Campbell)
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:27:39 +0000 (GMT)
> Cc: schreite@helena.physik.uni-stuttgart.de, linux-parport@torque.net

> > Since all the information is distributed on CD-ROM perhaps HP may give you
> > an old copy once off for free. HP are known to be "very generous" when it
> > comes to educational discounts (so much so that there was a practice where
> > they gave software to universities because it costed them more money to
> > process the invoice than they were charging).
>
> It depends on the control nature of the info. If the print side is like the
> HP 820 printer then you'll have to work it out yourself whatever you are
> a member of (or do it binary only). Actually the HP820 windows printer support
> may be some good clues

I believe that the OJ group are after scanning/FAX information. The print
side is fairly well known. I have an extremely scary experience where
someone sent a LaserJet II printout to a circa 1980 HP2563B shuttle (300
lines per second dotmatrix) lineprinter and it worked!! In reality you
only need about 3 or 4 printer drivers and you could cover the entire
range of HP printers.

Due to a glitch in HTML code I saw the price as US$300,00. Normally I
would associate a comma with "thousands" and read US$30,000 (thirty
thousand). The registration form actually lists the price as US$300.

Consider what you get access to this is an absolute bargin:
 - access to loan equipment for free (you pay freight)
 - heavy discounts on equipment purchase (currently 40%)
 - forum for discussing problems with other developers
        (HP monitors this forum :=)

You could pay for your registration with a single printer purchase :=)

Pitty it is restricted to Europe/Africa/Middle East

David Campbell