Re: [PARPORT] Can Backup PD/CD Drive use bpcd driver?

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:33:04 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all...

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Grant R. Guenther wrote:

>> I need to install Linux onto its limited 200MB harddisk.

> It is not going to be easy to install a Linux system on such a
> small disk. But, it is worth trying.

For reference, I obtained a Compaq DeskPro 386/25M which has a 60M
hard disk installed, and only 4M of RAM. That is now running RedHat
Linux 5.0, and serving as a print server on my network...

For reference, it took quite a bit of messing around to get it
installed - I ended up borrowing a friend's parallel ZipDrive and
bootdisk, booting it off that, then setting up the hard drive with
the following parameters:

Q> /dev/hda1 Linux native partition, size 38M.
Q> /dev/hda2 Linux swap partition, size 15M.
Q> /dev/hda3 MSDOS partition containing Compaq setup, size 7M.

The partitions actually map onto the hard drive in the opposite
order (/dev/hda3 is the first 7M of the disk), but have been
positioned as stated because all my other systems have hda1 as the
Linux root and hda2 as the Linux swap partitions. The reason for
this strange ordering is that the Compaq setup disks auto-install
to a new partition occupying the first 7M of the hard disk...

Best wishes from Riley.