[PARPORT] Re: Internal Laptop Zip?

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:28:17 +0000

> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:16:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jeff Brock <brock@cartan.Stanford.EDU>
> To: campbell@gear.torque.net
> Subject: Internal Laptop Zip?

> Hi David-

I am broadcasting this to the linux-parport mailing list as there may be a
few people interested in this information.

> I was perusing your informative ZIP-howto, and I was wondering
> whether anyone you know of has tried the new CNF (third party) internal
> ZIP drives for Toshiba IBM and Compaq laptops with linux? They say the
> thing works as an IDE drive, which leads me to believe that the
> usual linux IDE drivers should drive it, but I don't know whether
> they are doing some kind of wierd SCSI emulation or something like
> that.

> The CNF website is http://www.cnfinc.com, if you're interested.

After careful reading of the web page it appears that the drives are
Iomega devices repackaged into laptop modules.

Iomega apparently make two flavours of IDE ZIP drives:
        IDE Disk compatible use standard linux IDE driver
        IDE ATAPI use linux IDE ATAPI floppy driver

I don't expect any problems with these devices, in fact I have yet to hear
of any problems with "clone" ZIP drives. Presumably Iomega have ensured
that the clones meet their specifications...

David Campbell