Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:30:45 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> > scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB:
> > Request Sense 00 00 00 10 00
> > Current error sd08:01: sense key Medium Error
> > scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 2, absolute sector 3
> > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
> > or too many mounted file systems
>
>I had a similar problem with my system when I first started using
>the PPA 1.40 driver to access it. It turned out to be due to the
>fact that my parallel port's EPP mode waas incompatible with that
>expected by the driver - as soon as I changed the parallel port to
>use ECP mode instead, the problems vanished.
>
>If this is also your problem, then I can add that, whilst the data
>on the disk at the time of the error occurring is lost, the disk
>can be recovered by just reformatting it with either mke2fs or
>mkdosfs as appropriate.
>
>Best wishes from Riley.

I changed the bios setting : the original one was ECP+EPP. So I tried ECP,
EPP and even SPP. Neither helped however. I now get another error message
when trying to access the disks (I ran in the meantime a 'e2fsck -b 8193
/dev/sda1' suggested by A. Cox).

sda:scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00
00 00 10 00
extra data not valid Current error sd08:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Defect list not found
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0, absolute sector 0

The ppa driver I am using is 1.40 for the kernel 2.0.33 and 1.39a for the
2.1.85 (1.40 seems to cause a kernel panic with the recent expremental
kernels). The 'CONFIG_SCSI_PPA_HAVE_PEDANTIC' was set to 3.
Does somebody have any hints as to what is going wrong?

Regards.

junichi.
----
                  Junichi Saito <j.saito@wanadoo.fr>