Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:30:35 +0000

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:21:40 +0100 (CET)
> From: Junichi Saito <j.saito@wanadoo.fr>
> To: linux-parport@gear.torque.net
> Subject: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

> Is a disk definitely lost after the following error ?
>
> scsi0: MEDIUM ERROR on channel 0, id 6, lun 0, CDB: Request Sense 00 00 00
> 10 00
> Current error sd08:01: sense key Medium Error
> scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 2, absolute sector 3

This message has come from the ZIP drive via the SCSI mid level driver.
I do not suspect the driver or the parallel port is at fault. Basically
the drive has detected an error while reading a sector and reported back
to the Linux box.

Did you hear the disk heads sweep back and forth when this happened (with
a "chunk-a-chunk")? This happens when the drive can not read the sector
after three passes, the head sweep is to correct the head alignment.

I used to have a util which when pointed at the device file would tell you
the health of the disk. Try:

http://www.torque.net/~campbell/sd_life.html and
http://www.torque.net/~campbell/sd_life.c

*change into TV salesman voice*
"... You want more? Well with every full format on a ZIP drive cartridge
you receive 152 relocation blocks free, yes free!!"
there is a total of 1500+ spare blocks on a ZIP cartridge - 152 are
available for immediate use "on the fly", the remainder are allocated at
format time. Refer to sd_life.html

When I refer to a full format, this is a SCSI media certification format.
A simple mke2fs simply rearranges the bits on the disk. To perform a "SCSI
media certification format" use the Iomega "full format" found under other
operating systems (DOS, Win95, WinNT or OS2). Alternatively you could
annoy me... [don't hold your breath]

One other minor point, at the bottom of each cartridge is two indentations
used for locating pegs. Should these ever become covered/filled it could
cause a similar problem. I know this from experience.

David Campbell