Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip : MEDIUM ERROR

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:08:53 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, David Campbell wrote:

>I think you need to reformat those disks. Grab:
>http://www.torque.net/~campbell/sd_format.c
>
>Compile with the same flags as sd_life.c, usage is similar. (Note there is
>no "Are you really sure?" message, so be careful). This utility will
>perform a full format off-line (sd_format returns immediately but the
>drive keeps going - the drive is doing all the hard work).

I tried sd_format and the following is the result :

09:25:07> ./sd_life /dev/sda
SCSI error: host 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 28000000
        Sense class 7, sense error 1, extended sense 3
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
Format Status
Format type 0x01
Field format count 0x01
Spare blocks after format
Factory Side 0 0x063a
          Side 1 0x0643
Field Side 0 0x063a
          Side 1 0x000a

Cartridge Status
Button status Normal
Disk status Ready
Last sector 0x0002ffff
Bytes per sector 0x00000200
Factory Serial Number dump: 014180203329708503ZIP1 KAA0500E307
Media format type 0x00

Redundant blocks Spare In use
Side 00 126 0
Side 01 126 0

I heard the click you spoke of in the precedent article. The drive
worked ten seconds or so and stopped. Does this mean the formatting is
terminated normally? The format field is incremented, indeed ...

(...)
>I seem to have no problems with my disks, I have heard that some of the
>non-Iomega disks have a reputation for bad sectors. From memory there was
>a bad batch of "Fuji" disks that escaped the factory. Haven't heard any
>reports since (sounds like a one off batch).

I have some "Fuji" disks. But the first disk I had this problem with is
Iomega's one. I now have one Iomega, one Fuji and two Sony unusable. I
don't dare try the rest for fear ... I would say it is contagious.

>I will have to check my documentation but if you get a "0 spare / 0 in
>use" count on the spare blocks according to sd_life, put the disk to one
>side. It sounds like the relocation table is dead.
>
>Anyway, try the sd_format on the dead disks and let me know what sd_life
>returns.
>
>David Campbell
>campbell@torque.net (Parallel port device related mail)
>dcampbel@p01.as17.honeywell.com.au (For all other mail)
>
>"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"

I downloaded ppa-1.41. It works fine without giving kernel panics any
more. Thank you for your nice work.

junichi.
----
                  Junichi Saito <j.saito@wanadoo.fr>