Re: [PARPORT] HP DJ-660C problems

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:29:48 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Andrea.

>> Q> RedHat 5.0 installed.
>> Q> Kernel upgraded to 2.0.33, compiled with only the absolute
>> Q> essentials compiled in, and modules disabled.

> Why to disable modules? Modules are useful at first because it
> saves you to alloc memory.

Did you have a look at the machine's specifications? If so,
you'd've noticed that (a) I don't have disk space for modules, and
(b) the kernel only has the absolute essentials compiled in, so
any modules would be permanently loaded anyway...

>> I ran X-Windows across the network, and ran PrintTools on the
>> above box, and as far as I can tell, it is all set up correctly,
>> but it never gets round to printing anything!

> Try `echo ciao >/dev/lp1` or /dev/lp0 (if you have two parallel
> port and the printer is connected to the second one). If doing
> this your printer will print your problem is not related to the
> kernel lp driver so this is not the right list where to ask.

I tried "ls / > /dev/lp0" which I consider to be the equivalent to
that, and it failed to print. I would therefore consider that the
lp driver is still suspect, as is my configuration, and I have no
idea which is the real culprit...

Best wishes from Riley.