Re: [PARPORT] Parport numbering

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 01:56:55 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Tim Waugh wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>A little while ago there was a discussion on linux-kernel about parport
>numbering. The problem was that doing
>
> # modprobe lp parport=-1,0
> # rmmod lp
> # rmmod parport_lowlevel # but keep parport loaded
> # modprobe lp parport=-1,0

At least on my system that run kerneld 2.1.71 from Debian, seems that the
parport_lowlevel removing is atomic with the parport removing. I can' t
reproduce the intermediate state when only parport is loaded, without
forcing it by hand as in the example. I don' t know if the parport
numbering problem remains if there is more than one parport_lowlevel
driver loaded, but in that case I think that the right thing to do
should be to patch modprobe in order to be allowed to define some
modules that must be loaded in an atomic way.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli