Re: Re: [PARPORT] Installation from par.port CDROM

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:55:05 -0500 (EST)

> so making a kernel with the paride driver built in (on another system),
> and copying this kernel to a boot/installation (one that can be prepared
> from the cdrom) disk won't work ?

For RedHat 4.2, you need to have the driver for your CD-ROM compiled
as a module, and it must replace the 'bpcd' module on the floppy. (The
module is actually located inside a compressed image of a ramdisk.)

I have made some boot floppies with different drivers on them, it
isn't too hard. But, as I said in my previous reply, this discussion
is pointless if we don't have a driver for the device.

> I'm asking because how does the installation programm know that it should
> install linux ... !?

You tell the installer that you have a "backpack" drive and it takes it
from there ...