Re: [PARPORT] Need developmental kernel?

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:56:56 -0500 (EST)

> I understand how to use the paride drivers using kernel modules, but
> this won't work for me because all my files except for the kernel
> itself are going to be on my SparQ cartridge. I need to have the
> drivers compiled into the kernel file itself, which is on my hard
> drive.

You could use the "initrd" facility to load the module from a ramdisk
image after booting a standard kernel.

> Is there some way I can patch my existing kernel to include the paride
> drivers? Hope this isn't too dumb a question.

You might ask on the linux-syquest list - some people have successfully
patched their 2.0 kernels to include the older "ep" driver, which should
work with your SparQ.