Re: [PARPORT] Installing Linux through a paralel backpack

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 07:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Hey all, I am new to running Linux on a laptop and need a little help.
> I would like to install Debian's distribution of Linux on an Epson
> ActionNote 895c that i have. I have NO idea how to make an install boot
> disk that will recognize the backpack drive. Is this even possible?

It should be possible, but I have not personally used the Debian
distribution. If someone would like to arrange to get me a Debian
CD, I'll have a look at the details of installing from PARIDE devices.

> What is the process I will need to go through to load it off the CD? Or
> if there is nothing close to a set process, can some one give me a
> general push in the right direction. Thanks all!!!

If you have sufficient disk space, you can use the DOS drivers to load
the CD into a DOS partition on your laptop and then install from that.

Failing that, the Debian folks will have to explain how to add a new
driver to their bootdisk and installer.