Re: [PARPORT] Parallel Port Scanners

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Wed, 6 May 1998 13:46:36 +0000

> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Patrick Bauer <bauerp@niagara.com>
> To: David Campbell <campbell@gear.torque.net>
> Cc: linux-parport@torque.net
> Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Parallel Port Scanners

> Hi Dave... so you're saying that the Scanner could be a SCSI scanner...
> but with parallel ports... it also has what looks like a game port on the
> back... that could have something to do with SCSI... i'm wondering if i
> can use that port to connect to a SCSI card directly... well... i will try
> those drivers u were talking about..
>
> Pat.

I have poked around the Microtek, it appears that the parallel port cable
looks VERY similar to the Belden parallel to SCSI convertor. The parallel
to SCSI interface is actually in the cable itself. The thing that gives
this away is that one end is a D-25, the other is a centronics 50 pin (aka
SCSI-1 connector) with a D-25 for printer pass thru.

check http://www.support.microtek.com/win/epp_install_2.html

*download latest driver*

Hmm...
EGRET100.SYS => "OnSpec Electronic, Inc"
SMPLSCSI.SYS => "OnSpec Electronic Parallel Port SCSI Driver"
                "OnSpec Electronic Miniport Driver V1.00.09"

I smell an "OnSpec 90c26" chipset here (see comment at
http://www.torque.net/parport/parscsi.html) which suggests that none of
the currently "supported" parallel to SCSI drivers will help.

Perhaps you may want to talk to either Microtek or OnSpec to confirm the
above.

At least we have some idea of what is going on here...
Now if I had one of these cables and a tech document I could have a driver
coded in a week (took about that long for the ZIP Plus).

David Campbell