Re: [PARPORT] Parallel Port Scanners

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Wed, 6 May 1998 09:46:43 +0000

> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:57:17 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Patrick Bauer <bauerp@niagara.com>
> To: linux-parport@torque.net
> Subject: [PARPORT] Parallel Port Scanners

> Has anyone gotten a Parallel Port Scanner to work in linux ?

Not that I know of. Lot of queries though.

> The Scanner in question is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 Plus. The SANE
> Scanner Package supports this scanner, but only mentions SCSI.

Sounds like the scanner has a parallel port to SCSI convertor. If you
could find out what the interface chip is then you *might* be in luck.

Check the following link for some existing parallel to scsi drivers:
http://www.torque.net/parport/parscsi.html

You should find references to the following drivers:
       Driver Manufacturer
       ===============================
       1) t348 Adaptec
       2) t358 Adaptec
       3) epsa Shuttle Technology (older hardware)
       3) epst Shuttle Technology

Hopefully one of these should load and provide you with SCSI access to
your scanner (via the parallel port). There are another two parallel to
scsi drivers for Linux but are (as far as I know) only found in Iomega
products (ppa and imm drivers).

Currently I am overloaded with driver development work (fixing up ZIP Plus
driver, parport chipset probe routines) to do help if the interface is
"none of the above".

David Campbell